Dear HBA Members,
It is my pleasure to welcome you to 2020 as your new President of the HBA of Bucks and Montgomery Counties! I feel extremely fortunate to be handed a steady and proactive organization that is well positioned to take on the challenges facing our industry. I am confident the HBA will continue its mission of promoting, educating, and advocating the advancement of the residential construction industry while serving our community.
The HBA of Bucks and Montgomery Counties grew significantly over the past year thanks to the leadership from Past President, Kim Petrei. Kim, along with Executive Officer Carla Zapotek, the Executive Committee, the Board of Directors, and many committee members deserve recognition for their tireless hard work in moving our Association forward. Below are some of the highlights from 2019:
- The Membership Committee added over 80 new members, making our HBA one of the largest in the State of Pennsylvania.
- In April, our Sales and Marketing Committee held another spectacular Synergy Awards Ceremony.
- The Political Action Committee (PAC) hosted another successful fund-raising campaign, allowing us to strengthen our political relationships with local, county and state officials.
- In October, Associates Council lead one of the most successful Golf Outings in recent years
- The Professional Women in Building Council (PWB) and the newly formed Workforce Development Committee jointly hosted a successful event in November raising money for continued charity and student scholarship efforts.
Another highlight from 2019, which our Association monitored very closely, was the legislative victory (House Bill 751 - Act 53 of 2019) led by the Pennsylvania Builders Association (PBA) involving water and sewer infrastructure tax liability. This legislation eliminated the requirement that builders and developers fund the utilities’ tax obligation up front, which would have not only been damaging to our industry, but more importantly, detrimental to housing affordability.
My focus as President in 2020 is to continue to build upon this incredible momentum. I want to provide you, as valued members, the best opportunities for your membership investment. Our Association will provide you the forum to build relationships through our various networking events and to advocate for our industry by supporting PAC and Workforce Development in their efforts throughout the upcoming year.
I am challenging all Builders and Associates to maximize your membership by getting involved. Being involved opens the door for new opportunities and new professional growth, which ultimately creates the value in your HBA membership.
I look forward to leading your organization in the year ahead!
Brian D. McKenzie