National Green Building Standard
About the American National Standards Institute (ANSI)
Order your own copy National Green Building Standard
NAHB Green (www.nahbgreen.org)
Through the National Green Building Program, the National Association of Home Builders is helping its members move the practice of green building into the mainstream. Energy efficiency, water and resource conservation, sustainable or recycled products, and indoor air quality are increasingly incorporated into the everyday process of home building.
The National Green Building Program offers several resources and tools to help builders, remodelers, home building associations, and homeowners learn how to build green, and the benefits of doing so. Specific program components include:
- The ANSI approved ICC-700-2008 National Green Building Standard (NGBS) establishes a much-needed and nationally-recognizable standard definition of green building. The Standard includes single and multifamily homes, residential remodeling projects and site development projects while allowing for the flexibility required for regionally-appropriate best green practices. The Standard also introduces a new, fourth score – Emerald - to denote the pinnacle of achievement in residential green construction.
- NAHB Model Green Home Building Guidelines. Published in 2005, the voluntary Guidelines cover seven areas, including lot preparation and design, resource efficiency, energy efficiency, water efficiency and conservation, occupancy comfort and indoor environmental quality, and operation, maintenance and homeowner education. These Guidelines are the basis for the Green Scoring Tool, but were also written for local organizations to use as a foundation for their own Green Building program, for easy customization to reflect local geographic and climate conditions. Download a copy of the NAHB Model Green Building Guidelines (3.5MB PDF).
- www.nahbgreen.org, the official National Green Building Program website. Learn more about the resources and tools offered through this site.
- The NAHB National Green Building Program Hotline at 877-NAHB-GRN (877-624-2476). The Hotline is available from 9:00 AM - 5:00 PM Eastern time to answer questions, address comments, and provide resources to professionals looking to build green.
- A yearly National Green Building Conference which features exhibits, education sessions, networking opportunities, tours, and awards programs, including the National Green Building Program Awards, and with the National Arbor Day Foundation, and the annual Building With Trees awards.
- A national certification program that enables builders across the country to assure their homes are green.
- The NAHB National Green Building Awards recognizes individuals, companies and organizations that are "bringing green to the mainstream," by transforming green design and construction practices.
- National education programs, including a two-day education course offered at the National Green Building Conference, and also offered by local HBAs.
- The Certified Green Professional Designation.